It’s ten o’clock; do you know where your children are…and how fast they’re traveling? This has been an age old worry for parents of teen drivers. With today’s new technology, it is much simpler than you think.
1. First determine the type of tracking system you will need for tracking your teen driver.
2. There are many types of GPS tracking devices on the market today.
3. The first type of tracking device is a passive device that collects driving data. Once placed in the vehicle it can collect driving data for up to two weeks. You then must remove the unit from your vehicle and than the data an be downloaded onto your computer. A detailed report of the past time the device was in the vehicle will be generated using Google maps of Microsoft Virtual earth. You can either plug these units into your 12v power outlet in your car, or have any local auto installer hardwire the unit for out of sight installation.
4. This is cost effective with unit cost ranging from $150 – $300.
5. The second type is a real-time tracking unit that can be easily installed into a vehicle and gives real-time information via the internet. The parent goes online and logins into there account and can locate the vehicle (teen driver) at any time of the day or night. Many of these have a monthly monitoring cost needed to transmit the data back to the server which gives you the real-time information. With this type of unit, you can receive alerts of speeding or leaving/entering “zones” that the parent can create. These types of unit require hardwire installation from any auto installer. Insurance discounts are available from your insurance carrier for having a real-time tracking unit in your vehicle.
6. These units can range in cost from $299 – $499.
o Pick a unit that will give you peace of mind
· If your teen driver finds out that he/she is being tracked, you will need to be ready to explain/defend the need for this device. This can be a difficult discussion. Sometimes prior notice of tracking of the vehicle and the reasons why can help the situation.